Skip to main content

Test test

I wanted to start a blog that would be a sounding board for my work in a brand new position at the University Library at Kent State University, as their Digital Projects Librarian.

This is likely take the form of things I'm fired up about on that particular day, projects I feel inspired about (or frustrated by), and then likely some random rants along the way.

A bit of background about where I am coming from- Coming into this new position at Kent is in many ways a full circle for me. I am a Kent native and twice over KSU alum. I've spent a good portion of my life in/around the Kent area, and am personally pretty thrilled to be back in the city limits for work. I most recently came from a position managing the institutional repository at Case Western Reserve University for the past 6 years as their Digital Librarian, and have also been teaching adjunct at the School of Library and Information Science at Kent State since 2011. Before that, I had worked in the museum and art gallery settings in New Orleans and Los Angeles. I'd like to think I come to the table with a variety of skills and experiences, though when I think about it, I really did take a strange path to get to where I am today. But in so many of these newer librarian roles in the digital realm, there really wasn't a clear path that I could have taken to get here in a way.

The world of digital libraries and digital librarianship is still in many ways in its infancy and still being defined and developed to keep up with changing technologies and platforms. That's the exciting and also scary part- So much on-going development means persistent flux. Many of my skill sets have been picked up along the way as needed usually at a project basis, and this part continues to challenge and interest me thoroughly. I've always thought this is an interesting niche to be- A place that bridges traditional librarian roles with the IT and systems world. I've often felt to be a translator between IT oriented people and the rest of the library staff. I enjoy the challenge that digital media brings, from preservation to access to ever changing technologies and tools that accompany the capture and delivery of digital media.

The biggest change for me currently, is to really take one big step back and think about digital initiatives in a larger, broader, more encompassing approach than my role at Case had entailed. In many ways I have felt lucky to be at this juncture- A new position brings many choices and paths to chose and tailor without having to pick up the pieces of a previously defined path. That also brings many challenges with it- Lots of work to accomplish these goals particularly from the get go, and also adapting to a different framework from my previous position. There are some existing homegrown digital collections that I would like to see migrated into another platform, but it's exciting to me to start with a (relatively) clean slate.

I'm excited to see what the future will bring in this position, and my first goal is to bring together a working group of individuals who have a stake in the digital projects arena (cataloging, public services librarians, IT/development staff and myself), and then set out to define a solution for our scenario here at Kent.

The second goal that really is fundamental to future projects and building a sustainable digital projects program is to start connecting with people and create working relationships that may not have previously existed here at UL. One advantage that I've felt in these early weeks is to reconnect with old friends, previous student supervisors and other Kent townie connections that I've been fortunate to have accumulated over the years to start some of these initial conversations. I have alot of love for my hometown, and love the return to my roots along the Cuyahoga River. There used to be a rumor when I was in college about a Native American belief that this river somehow always brings you back home eventually- Some strange pull to return to its banks. Well, here I am.

Virginia Dressler, MA, MLIS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summertime

It's funny when you work in academics, and so many people assume you have summers off. Summers end up being the busiest time of the year for me for a few reasons. I may have less meetings with the 9 month contract faculty, but it's high time for projects. I normally have students who can work more hours, and that in turns means more time from me to keep things running. This summer I have been working closely with the Kent Historical Society on a project to get their oral history collection online, over the past three years or so using interns from the Library Science program at KSU. We finally got the first batch up, after alot of work to capture and transfer digital files, make content descriptions and also work on transcriptions. Here's the link to the collection at Ohio Memory: http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16007coll83  It's been amazing to work with the historical society- Alot of names that are familiar to me being a Kent native, and

Tenure track, twins and prenatal loss

Life of late has been crazy busy. Technically the tenure clock is paused this year as I toll, yet the 2 year NHRPC  grant kicked off last September as I returned from maternity leave, and I continue to make a stab at research and writing in the interim. But my life has changed quite a bit (and as such, the intermittent absence of the blog). We welcomed twins last May, who are currently inches away from walking and continue to keep me on my toes in a daily whirlwind of activity. They came into this world exactly a year and a day after our devastating full term loss in 2015. Life is strange and odd, and often I find that I am still reeling when I think about the unexplained loss of our first. It has been difficult to move on, and feel a huge part of my heart remains with that baby. There are constant reminders- friends who had successful births around the same time remind me of the huge, gaping hole in our lives when I see their little one, or walking by the tree my amazingly thought

Privacy and digital collections

This past October, I put in a book proposal on the topic of ethical decision-making around privacy issues in digital collections. It has been accepted by Morgan and Claypool, and I am cranking to meet a May 1st deadline to get this into print by November. It's exciting, but also nerve-wracking and perhaps a little terrifying for a few reasons. Ethics is head space that I very much enjoy- This work will include a nod to an essay from Martin Heidegger, which oddly enough I used a different Heidegger essay in my museum studies MA thesis on the ethics of art conservation. The philosophy aspect in ethics is probably the most enjoyable part for me, but it's also unbelievably murky waters. I spent many years rejecting absolutes in my early twenties, though at some point I have to put the pen to the paper and just write. (Funny sidenote- This digital girl still prefers the analog. I write primarily on my laptop and then print out draft and edit by hand. I also hate, hate, hate e-bo