Skip to main content

New face for Special Collections and Archives digital collections

This week we rolled out a new face for the digital collections from the Special Collections and Archives department at the University Library. Some of the changes may seem subtle, but they will be crucial ones as we continue to build up our digital collections.

Our previous iteration was built on a home-grown service, and had some shortcomings. Our hope with this new interface is to provide a more fluid search and browse experience without losing any of the functionality of the old site. Previously, users were unable to search across all collections, and now we have a way to search three of the five collections. Two collections are hosted by outside vendors, but we are working on a way to also add these to the search functionality. We will also be sharing some important audio files from the May 4 collection in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

http://omeka.library.kent.edu/special-collections/ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summertime

It's funny when you work in academics, and so many people assume you have summers off. Summers end up being the busiest time of the year for me for a few reasons. I may have less meetings with the 9 month contract faculty, but it's high time for projects. I normally have students who can work more hours, and that in turns means more time from me to keep things running. This summer I have been working closely with the Kent Historical Society on a project to get their oral history collection online, over the past three years or so using interns from the Library Science program at KSU. We finally got the first batch up, after alot of work to capture and transfer digital files, make content descriptions and also work on transcriptions. Here's the link to the collection at Ohio Memory: http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16007coll83  It's been amazing to work with the historical society- Alot of names that are familiar to me being a Kent native, and

Tenure track, twins and prenatal loss

Life of late has been crazy busy. Technically the tenure clock is paused this year as I toll, yet the 2 year NHRPC  grant kicked off last September as I returned from maternity leave, and I continue to make a stab at research and writing in the interim. But my life has changed quite a bit (and as such, the intermittent absence of the blog). We welcomed twins last May, who are currently inches away from walking and continue to keep me on my toes in a daily whirlwind of activity. They came into this world exactly a year and a day after our devastating full term loss in 2015. Life is strange and odd, and often I find that I am still reeling when I think about the unexplained loss of our first. It has been difficult to move on, and feel a huge part of my heart remains with that baby. There are constant reminders- friends who had successful births around the same time remind me of the huge, gaping hole in our lives when I see their little one, or walking by the tree my amazingly thought

Choose Privacy Every Day blog

I realized this week that I had not posted here in some time! Lots of reasons- many of which are not terribly exciting- feeling overwhelmed/busy/stressed, being a FT working mom with twins who just started kindergarten, pandemic, blah, blah, blah, but I have also been writing a monthly blog post for the ALA Choose Privacy Every Day blog. https://chooseprivacyeveryday.org/author/virginia-dressler/  This has been a super rewarding experience- I get to pick the topic, and lately it's been mostly interviewing current privacy and AI grant PIs and book reviews. Check it out, and if you feel the urge, you can subscribe on the homepage . I will post some job related project updates here shortly!   "robots" by Tarkowski is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0